[permaculture] more on greenschooling

Jenny Katz jennykatz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 14 11:42:27 EDT 2007

Thanks, all, for your replies. Great suggestions and very much in
line with what I believe. Linda, I'm going to check out your link
about the Small School. Kathyann, I do have Brent Cameron's book,
Self-Design, and agree with you that it's outstanding. In fact, it
may have been from you, some months ago, that I first heard about it!
(Many thanks!) And Stephen, it made me laugh to see you mention the
Wilderness Awareness School. I took two of John Young's workshops
last year--Building Strong Naturalist Communities and the Art of
Mentoring, both at the Vermont Wilderness School. The 64 cultural
points chart reminded me strongly of the periodic table, and got me
(even more) interested in putting together a pattern language for
education. I'd love to talk to you all further about this.

Ken, I'll put together my thoughts about curriculum over the next
couple of days and shoot it back out to all of you. Much as part of
me would like to completely knock out the current system of
schooling, the principle of gradual and incremental change makes me
think it'd be more effective to create something that allows people
to work with what we've got now--which is why I think awareness
techniques might be the way to begin. For instance, I took my kids to
the Art of Mentoring workshop last October, and one of the games they
played there was to try and "clothespin" people--to clip a clothespin
on someone's shirt without their noticing you. It's a game of
awareness; all of a sudden you notice your surroundings in a much
different way. You look around with "owl eyes." You walk with "fox
walk." You recognize yourself (whether you're the pinner or the
pinnee) as a much more integrated part of things. Why not help kids
develop the skills of tracking even while they're sitting in class
doing dittoes? Do the dittoes, yes, but also be aware of your body in
space, of the physical and energetic relationship between you and
other people, of the way the teacher's movements and words give
insight into what's happening now and what's happening next. What's
the system? How can we be ever more aware of the system, its needs
and constraints and possibilities?

And how about waste? (Tom, I wrote you about this.) Natural systems
don't have any. So if you're feeling a "waste" of your time and
energy, your heart and mind, what kind of focus can you bring to your
experience at that moment in order to convert waste to food? I don't
know how explicit you can be with little kids about this kind of
thing, but I know there's a way to make it work.

Lots of thoughts germinating in my head. With your kind permission,
I'll continue to let 'em grow out loud. The insight and inspiration
of this list has been instrumental in my getting even this far!

yours,
Jenny