[permaculture] greenschooling

Jenny Katz jennykatz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 14 00:10:18 EDT 2007

Hi all--

I've been playing around with something I'm calling "greenschooling"--
education in the permacultural mold, which is to say: environmentally
based, but taking nature as structure and model rather than just as
subject matter. Greenschooling, in other words, is education that
grows the awareness of learning (and living) in relationship. All
knowledge, of course, as I don't need to tell you permies, exists in
relationship; the patterns of "knowledge" and "truth," like the
patterns of "tree" or "zone one," emerge as a relationship between
knower and known, between self and environment, between fact and
context.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with these ideas. I'd be
homeschooling, but my ex-husband says no, so I'm trying to see the
gift in that and develop something greater--a solution that benefits
not only my own two kids (ages 6 and 10) but also helps other
families, too. I'm interested in developing a series of simple
techniques (awareness techniques, maybe) that anyone, of any age,
could implement at any time to increase his or her understanding of
these patterns, these relationships. I don't want to create a new
curriculum; instead, I want to shape a lens for understanding the
indivisible classroom--the curriculum that the world is presenting us
at all times. It's easy to see and feel the connections when we're in
the garden or in the woods; harder to do so during math class or the
dentist appointment. But they're no less valid, and no less present,
in math class. I want to try and figure out some ways to make this
clear.

I'm gonna get a website up soon, either at greenschooling.com or at
indivisibleclassroom.com. If anyone has any suggestions of great
resources or great people, I'd love to hear...

yours,
Jenny in Connecticut