[permaculture] what does a permaculture based politics look like?

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Wed Jun 13 22:35:51 EDT 2007

Right on Kevin!

It seems to me that every move we make regarding permaculture engages
our community which by its nature is political. We too have worked
(but probably not as hard as you have!) to supply some food via our
local coop, which is nothing if not a political beast. We also are
involved in the land trust movement around here, (more local
politics!) and see that as a hopeful way to keep land available for
sustainable practices and out of the hands of developers. We are also
planning a local sustainability conference for '08 and are bracing
for the politics in the community around that. You can continue on up
the political food chain and see how decisions made at the state and
national level can have serious implications for the permaculture
movement. Maine's energy efficiency policy and upcoming U.S. farm
bill come to mind. Certainly, local political movements to ban GMO's
are integral to the movement and in some cases are led by permies.
When I interview Mollison, he made no bones about delving straight
into politics. A small decision at those highest levels can have more
impact than a lot of hard work on the ground by a lot of people. One
only need to look at Cuba to see what can happen when a political
establishment embraces pemaculture principles. Food growing everywhere!

Keep up the great work.

Will you be attending the Northeast Summer Convergence? Maybe we can
catch up there. I'd love to hear more about what you're doing.

In solidarity,

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts+Ecology
Design Solutions for a Sustainable Future

450 Main St. Studio 2
Norway, Maine 04270
207-739-2409 Studio
207-890-4099 Cell