[permaculture] Favorite Herb Books

George Monacelli bungo_bean at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 02:32:55 EDT 2007

There are a lot of great (and not-so-great) books on herbs and their uses.  Michael Tierra's books are a good source on uses.  Tom Brown Jr. has some very good insights on learning herbs by means of observation and "listening to the herbs themselves".

  The herb book I keep in my bed-stand is the Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants by Andrew Chevallier.  Its a hardcover DK book (always wonderful layouts) with great photographs and illustrations as well as a wealth of general information on uses (both traditional and current), scientific research, and means of cultivation. It doesn't go into any depth, but its a great quick reference and one book that I have just gotten a lot of real enjoyment from... I would recommend this one!

  George

  Sharon Gordon <gordonse at one.net> wrote:
  I've been reading a great herb book which has some detailed info on the particular herbs. I'd like to learn about more different herbs though and more specifics on using them. Does anyone have recommendations? In addition to growing information, I am interested in cooking uses, medical uses, and other useful functions such as making dyes or ways herbs can be used in the garden.

The PFAF site is helpful in listing more ways plants can be used.

Sharon
gordonse at one.net

Sharon
gordonse at one.net