[permaculture] starting some fruit trees

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 23:21:39 EDT 2007

> should I go
>ahead and give this a try? Should I start with one tree?

by all means give things a try. :)

both apples and pears bear better when cross polinated by a cultivar
with a similar flowering time so two apples of a different variety makes
sense.  Sometimes you can get trees with multiple varieties grafted on..
but this can be fussy down the road -- I prefer just one variety per
stem for someone who is just getting started with it all.  Contact your
local land grant college agricultural extension office for
cross-pollination.  Under marginal conditions... i'd really key in on
disease resistant varieties (depending on your local diseases.)

You might consider also investing in small fruit, depending on your
site... my impression is that cane fruit and blueberry relatives can do
well in half sun if well matched to soil environment.

Identify your location and you'll get better advice or even better...
local advice.

Paul Cereghino