[permaculture] spindle cut orchards

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Tue Jun 5 00:49:53 EDT 2007

Mr. Blaha writes,

> Espalier techniques are the spindle technique taken to
>the extreme...they ...Could be permaculture.

I figure permaculture designs borrow techniques as useful.  It is less
the technique, but the system through which it is applied (while some
techniques are only applied through dysfunctional systems I figure
extreme pruning is not one of them).  Dwarfed trees could also be placed
in created microclimates that support production outside commercial
range that reduces impacts of food transport.  They better receive
integrated pest management strategies reducing reliance on poisons.

This purity in pruning discussion reminds me of the rift within the
green party in Germany -- "idealist" vs. "realist"

While I in fact have hugged many trees -- I found permaculture so
attractive because it tended to be very 'cosmology' neutral.  The degree
to which a system successfully incorporates permaculture design is found
in the ecological balance sheet -- inputs, outputs, resilience.  We have
so far to go until we build a lifestyle that no longer feeds atrocious
waste and destruction.  Until then, I have a hard time making
distinctions over the intraspecies ethics of pruning styles.  What do
you do with the prunings?  What are the other elements of the cultural
system and which of those are necessitated by the pruning technique?
How much energy does the system use?  What are the inputs and outputs?
Is the soil increasing in fertility?