[permaculture] Organic no-till for dry-land farming?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Mon Jun 4 04:20:28 EDT 2007

mossmans wrote:

> Can I ask you to put www.scytheconnection.com onto the list of suppliers of
> Scythes please.

I will do this asap.

> I have been corresponding with Peter Vido, and am impressed by the passion
> for the use of this tool, helpfulness of the site and the time he and his
> family have given me with the questions I have.  And that is from Australia
> as well, where there are no suppliers - and they are helping us get a
> shipment to get us started here.

Fantastic!

I know Peter and Kai well, through phone calls and email. I have bought no less than
50 scythe blades, several snaths and accessories from them over the past two years.
I have considerable interest in scythe use around the world and in exploring new and traditional uses
for them in market farming and permaculture, and mowing small lawns :-)

I plan to manufacture small gardening hand tools to sell mail order. I use recycled circular saw blades
and various tool and high carbon steels. If anyone has designs they would like to see prototyped or manufactured please
let me know.

> The role of hand tools in permaculture has not been well explored, and I
> hope we can put some more emphasis on this given peak oil and other
> considerations so we tread lightly on our wonderful planet.

You can do a lot of farming and greenspace maintenance with hand tools alone. Better that we forget the powered
equipment and get back to basics, doing it by hand.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm