[permaculture] scythes

tom tom at honeychrome.com
Sun Jun 3 21:00:08 EDT 2007

I'll add my voice to the enthusiasm for scythes.  I was a little
skeptical and thought the famous Wendell Berry essay and other
writings extolling the scythe had to be tending to the hyperbolic,
but figured if using a scythe was half as great as they all claimed
it would be worth while.  I got one last fall but didn't get around
to putting it together and using it until just a couple weeks ago and
I can't say enough good things about it.  I still have to hone (ha
ha) my stroke and sharpening techniques, but after just a couple
hours I was amazed at how effective and actually fun it is.  I just
ordered a second one with a bush blade to tackle some serious bramble
growth that I've been putting off mainly because I despise using the
motorized weed whacker- stinks up the air, costs $ in gas to run,
leaves my ears ringing, my hands numb and my back sore.  I hope I
never have to start that damn thing up again.

Scythe Supply (www.scythesupply.com) is where I got mine from.  Lots
of good info on the website and very helpful on the phone.  A good
modern scythe outfit ain't cheap, but I think it'll be worth it.