[permaculture] spindle cut orchards

Rich Blaha rich at mossbackfarm.com
Sat Jun 2 23:17:32 EDT 2007

Hi Paul

I guess I don't share your outrage at the practice....Fukuoka aside,
most fruit trees do well with heavy pruning.  If you've ever seen an old
neglected apple tree, breaking branches from the weight of fruit on
spindly limbs, you'll see that neglect, however benign, doesn't always
do them good.  Espalier techniques are the spindle technique taken to
the extreme...they are a great way to pack lots of fruit production,
often of a variety that doesn't do well in your climate, into a little
area.  Could be permaculture.

To add to my previous post, Cloud Mtn is a 20 acre family farm, which
started out in the '70s  growing organic garlic and tomatoes, then moved
into 'spindled' apple orchards, then a retail nursery, all to keep
profitable, or at least, to keep the farm in the family. No longer
organic, not permaculture, but diversified, with a good heart and mind
running the show.

I wouldn't worry about big ag getting too into this game...there's so
much competition from Chinese apple farmers that family farms in WA and
OR are ripping out trees right and left, often putting in wine grapes if
the location is suitable.  That, or subdivisions.  Not permaculture, in
a far, far worse way.

You want to see outrage, come to the Willamette Valley and check out our
grass seed fields...monoculture is mandated by the seed buyers, so even
the roadside ditches are nuked to keep the seed from being 'contaminated'

Rich
www.mossbackfarm.com/journal