[permaculture] spindle cut orchards

Rich Blaha rich at mossbackfarm.com
Sat Jun 2 01:31:03 EDT 2007

Hi Paul

I worked for a commercial apple orchard and nursery in Bellingham, WA
(cloudmountainfarm.com).  They used the 'slender spindle' form for their
trees, to pretty good effect, from a commercial orchardists standpoint.
The trees require specialized pruning, it's true, but they are trained
to channel some of their upward growth into side shoots, and trellises
support the weight of the fruit.  It's esentially a technique that draws
on the space efficiency of espalier techniques, scaled to commercial
operations.

Trees pruned this low are vastly more cost efficient to manage,
especially picking and pruning.  Not having crews haul orchard ladders
around really speeds the process, not to mention worker's comp advantages.

I had talked to Tom at Cloud Mountain about clover in the rows for
nitrogen fixing (he used a creeping red fescue that didn't need much
mowing).  He'd said that the legumes shed a pulse of nitrogen in fall as
they go dormant, just as he's trying to get his trees to shut down for
the year.  If a warm snap hits after the N-pulse, he'd get a push of
growth that will burn back when winter hits for real.  He's in a pretty
wild weather area, so I don't know if that holds for all regions.

This is one of those commercial vs homestead scale issues....it seems a
shame to rip out a bunch of mature producing trees just to introduce
some diversity, unless there's a problem, either existing or imminent.
Like all of these decisions, it depends on the context of the
property...is it a cash crop, or a hobby?  Are they all just a couple of
varieties, or is there a wide diversity of them?  And how big is the
orchard?  And what's nearby?

Questions just lead to more questions....

Rich
www.mossbackfarm.com/journal