[permaculture] Organic certification labels

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Fri Jun 1 13:12:24 EDT 2007

Sean Maley wrote:
>  Can someone help answer the following for a neighbor of mine?
>
> Is it just the USDA that allows chemical fertilizers to be used on foods with the designation "organic?" What about other certifying organizations (Oregon Tilth, Quality Assurance International, and OCIA are listed on just a few of the products on my shelf...)?

As far as I know there are certifying agencies under contract to the USDA that are USDA certified to inspect
and certify farms as USDA Organic. The abovementioned organizations may/may not be part of that program. They may/may
also be independent certifiers with their own standards with certification to offer to growers.
There's beyondorganic
certified naturally grown
locally grown
sustainably grown

and, of course -
roll your own, and get to know your customers and let them make up their own minds
that's the best one especially for locally grown

after all its the farmers and their produce that makes the marketplace, not paper pushers
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl at intrex.net