[permaculture] Lawn

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Fri Jun 1 12:00:32 EDT 2007

I have three kinds of surfaces dominated by grass... 1) cut short as
recreational space - clippings used to spot mulch, 2) rough cut with
scythe - clippings used to spot mulch, 3) ignored until future
manipulation.

I hope to transition to three slightly different kinds of grass
dominated systems... 1) meadow with woody sub-shrubs edging hedgerow, 2)
herbaceous meadow of different breeds rough cut for mulch or foraged for
medicine/dye/herbs, 3)herbal lay dominated by grass, clover and yarrow,
with flower as secondary yield.

I have been collecting local and exotic prairie species, and am
considering using a couple native bunch grass as the matrix, but have a
lot to learn about grass varieties to construct something that is
persistent but contains niches for other species.

Paul Cereghino