[permaculture] Lawn

mIEKAL aND dtv at mwt.net
Fri Jun 1 09:15:44 EDT 2007

We have a number of small lawns on our various properties, and I'm
not at all opposed to small green areas that are also social
gathering spaces.  For many years we even used pygmy goats to keep
one of the lawns somewhat managed tho it never replaced the need for
mowing.  However I live in a dairy farming state, where a 2-5 acre
front lawn is common, a sign of status (along with having the newest
biggest fleet of pickups).  Often these monstrous lawns will have one
or two trophy trees planted in them because anything more would
hinder efficient mowing.  Not only that but they seem to have to be
mowed weekly to make sure everything is perfectly manicured.

When I oversaw the landscape design for the Organic Valley building
mentioned in the wolf spider thread, they were originally thinking of
having about an 8 acre lawn in front of the building, but I & a
couple others convinced the powers that be to put in 5 acres of
native prairie & a paradise garden with about 30 species of edibles.
There is still quite a bit of green space around the building to make
the farmers (who are the owners of the coop) happy.

~mIEKAL