[permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at intrex.net
Sun Jul 29 17:49:44 EDT 2007

oliver smith callis wrote:

> It seems to me that the issue of certification
> will take a back seat to and be simply a tool  for the accomplishment of our
> collective objective (i.e. of regenerating our land base and facilitating
> the development of a resilient, decentralized permaculture network).

I think it would be a better idea to make certification central to your community/bioregion design process.
Every time I read Scott Pittman on this list, this idea gets reinforced, his last post being one of the better examples.
With that you have a set of core values to reflect on and base your design specs on. You can improve on that later on
but you have to have a common starting point for everyone. Without making certification
step one you may be putting the cart before the horse. With everyone on the same page, passing tests and getting their
diploma, they have a common knowledgebase and a commonality of having gone through the certification process together
something that will have a significant bonding effect. As you design your community and bioregion you will all be
talking the same language but with an infinitude of variations provided by each individual's interpretation leading to a
robust synthesis and enhanced group knowledgebase.

I don't know how much work it would be to find the certifier and organize an ongoing certification program to serve the
entire community but maybe a few could take the training, get certified as teachers as well as designers then the
group would become a "self" certifying entity; in other words spawn a generation of PC teacher-certifiers. This might be
a good plan to use on a national or even international scale, at least for North America.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflj at intrex.net
lfljvfarm at gmail.com