[permaculture] After a Permaculture Design Course, then what?

L. Santoyo Designs santoyo at earthflow.com
Fri Jul 27 17:27:40 EDT 2007

Thanks Wes...

Yes, design course graduates can apply to come to work with us -we
have apprenticeship programs (of sorts) throughout the year.

http://earthflow.com/volunteering.php

http://earthflow.com/designcourse_exp.php

We don't advertise much because we get lot's of inquirers already...
but my feeling is that -additional opportunities for graduates to
learn are already endless... there are countless places one can go
-practically anywhere the world to gain experience -and in several
"specialties" under the Permaculture umbrella.  we list some on our
website...

I run a design firm with irons in many many fires -Our diverse
services and experiences stem from of course, the unlimited
applications of Permaculture Design... but are largely due to the
continued participation and involvement of our annual crops of (so
called) students -(many of them, of course, are now the ones teaching
me the new tricks!)  http://earthflow.com/ataglance.php

My next comment is that, like in the UK, The Permaculture Institute
(USA) is in the processes of addressing these issues and adopting
"standards" as the Permaculture Research Institute (Australia) has.
In due time, Scott Pittman, President of The Permaculture
Institute-USA (oldest pc institute in america) will have more to say
about designer AND teacher protocols.

Pretty much already well accepted in any Design discipline is that a
person needs to get lots of experience before teaching or
designing...  Permaculture Design should be no exception.

Back to mentors...
I am working with the Institute (USA) pitching this idea... I have
always thought that it is the responsibility of the original PDC
teacher(s) of the person interested in continuing education -they
should be the one(s) to help those student find and/or place them
with an appropriate intern/mentor program -Then continue to monitor
and assist their progress (like your AA sponsor would!) over the
equivalent of two years full-time work.  THEN when you think that
you're ready -together, teacher and student, apply to the
Permaculture Institute (USA) for a "designer" or "teacher" status of
some sort.

We tell our students that (some) can continue to work with us, -or if
they wish to find a mentor, and/or find a new place to work with (or
go to someone that we recommend). We also highly encouraged students
to go out and take more design courses -to learn the valuable
perspectives from other teachers in other places of the world...
-again, we have some recommendations on our website.

What do other teachers do and/or students think?

And now my biggest Questions...
How many students are there out there that have needed a "designer"
certificate -and why?

Can-o-Worms...
Of course the issues are many -including that (just that much
"mentor-ing") is a lot of work for the Institute and a lot of
responsibility for the instructors (-especially an inexperienced
instructor!) -and a huge commitment -that, in my experience, few
students ever actually end up committing to.  This conversation comes
around and around every year or so and ends up being mostly moot
-maybe will again this time -maybe not -?!?

Other thoughts?

Larry

L.Santoyo, Director
EarthFlow Design Works
<http://earthflow.com>http://earthflow.com

Hey -Please Join Us -Please Pass the Word!

The 5th Annual Los Angeles Permaculture Design Course
<http://earthflow.com/LAPDC0708.php>http://earthflow.com/LAPDC0708.php

Live & Learn Sustainable Design -in the South of France!
<http://earthflow.com/france2007.php>http://earthflow.com/france2007.php