[permaculture] "certified permaculture designers"

Scott Pittman scott at permaculture.org
Thu Jul 26 11:03:55 EDT 2007

It takes an enormous amount of hubris to call oneself a "professional" after
two weeks of basic training.  It has always been the case that the two week
permaculture certification course was step one on ones path to becoming a
teacher or designer in permaculture.

As Toby rightly states the diploma was intended to confer on diplomats the
title of designer or teacher or administrator etc.  There are 9 or 10
occupation categories of diplomas which are issued when the applicant has
presented examples of his/her work and displays competence in the field.

Originally it was thought that two years was sufficient time to accumulate
enough experience and knowledge to apply for a diploma.  There are, of
course, those whose life experience before encountering permaculture is
sufficient to demonstrate competence in a field and to become a diplomat.

I'm very leery of any such titles and apply the dictum "the proof is in the
pudding" as the true test of ability.

Scott Pittman
Director
Permaculture Institute