[permaculture] Is permaculture easy? (was Peak Oil)

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Mon Jul 23 14:05:06 EDT 2007

Toby,
I like this thinking, never discount human ingenuity.  Here is another example I give at talks on peak oil.  People are worried about what happens when cars go away and we don't have ample public transportation. Well the good news is that the U.S. has built an enormous system of highly engineered, well graded beds for train tracks. Even better these beds go everywhere we need a train to go. These beds are the freeway systems of the U.S. If don't drive cars in the frequency that we do now, it will be easy to convert part of freeways to trains by laying the tracks.  Tracks are easy when the hard engineering is already done.

I am a great believer in facing the worse that can happen, but once you have faced it, it is time to move on to solutions, which is what I thought Permaculture was supposed to be about.

Much of these same fears existed when the depression set in.  The U.S. army was mobilized in Washington to put down veterans demonstrations out of fear of societal collapse.  A forgotten bit of depression era history is that even before the New Deal started, people were spontaniously forming collectives to do anything and everything from haircuts to picking fruit.  People were figuring out how to survive, and cooperating to do it.