[permaculture] BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | UK gets first desalination plant

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 18 18:30:23 EDT 2007

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6904722.stm>

Last Updated: Wednesday, 18 July 2007, 13:13 GMT 14:13 UK
UK gets first desalination plant
Artist impression of the proposed desalination plant
The plant would be by the River Thames in east London
The UK's first desalination plant providing drinking water for Londoners and people in the south-east has been granted
government approval.

The plant in Beckton, east London, will start producing water sometime in 2009, in times of drought or low rainfall.

The site will provide up to 140m litres of drinking water a day - enough for nearly one million people.

But critics say the plant is a "sticking plaster" solution to the water crisis.

Planning permission for the plant was granted by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and the
Department of Communities and Local Government.

It is expected to run for up to 40% of the time over the next 25 years but critics say it is unnecessary.

Climate change

Richard Aylard, from Thames Water, said: "The desalination plant is a vital part of our plans to secure future water
supplies to the capital.

"With pressures such as climate change and population growth, the plant is essential alongside our continuing progress
in reducing leakage and proposals for a new reservoir in Oxfordshire."

But environmental campaigners condemned the government's approval of the plant.

"It is a sticking plaster solution to the water crisis we have in the south-east," said Rob Oates from the World
Wildlife Fund.

"The government should instead conduct a bigger, strategic review of people's water usage and work to reduce demand and
leakage, introduce metering in homes and encourage residents to install water-saving technology."

He added: "At the moment, half of the drinking water supplied to homes is used for flushing toilets and washing dirty
clothes, which is madness."

SEE ALSO
Thames salt water plant approved
15 Jun 07 |  London
Water firm rules out desalination
04 Apr 07 |  England
Inquiry on salt water plant ends
30 Jun 06 |  London
Testing the water on desalination
23 May 06 |  UK
Inquiry on salt water plant plan
23 May 06 |  London
Mayor blocks salt water proposal
19 Apr 05 |  London

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
Mayor of London
Thames Water
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites