[permaculture] Peak Oil -

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Tue Jul 17 18:34:48 EDT 2007

Marjory wrote:
>  It is dammned hard to get one of those remote
> farms up and functioning, much less a small community, and I sincerely doubt
> eco cities will emerge.  I think one of the major failings of permaculture
> is the false optimism it engenders.

In what way does permaculture engender false optimism? I've never heard
anyone say that it's easy to set up an ecovillage. Quite the opposite.
Oh, Mollison and others talk about how easy it is to grow a lot of food
and they sound pretty optimistic about gardening, but my experience is,
that's true. But a community? I don't see anything in any Pc literature
saying communities are easy to create, and most instructors I know point
out how much work and luck is involved. So if you're going to accuse Pc
of a "major failing," I''m curious to know the basis for the accusation.

Toby