[permaculture] Looking for good examples of the use of berms and swales &...

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Thu Jul 12 13:02:22 EDT 2007

S&M,
You complain that your veggies "sulk and fail" in your heavy clay soil. Do
you have access to any free sand in the neighborhood? If you're talking about
just putting in a small vegetable garden, I would consider trucking in a couple
of loads of sand and tilling them in thoroughly. While you're doing that it
will be easy to berm it into raised beds.

I suspect the problem is not with your dirt's organic content, but just the
fact that the glue you're trying to grow stuff in is drowning the new rootlets,
depriving them of air. Give it a try, and see what comes up.

M. Elvin