[permaculture] Peak Oil -

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 09:00:51 EDT 2007

This post demonstrates that whoever in the oil industry wrote it understands nothing about peak oil.? Peak oil does not mean we are running out of oil, in fact there are?probably about a trillion barrels of oil left in the ground as we approach peak.? It means we have reached the peak of production not the end of oil production.? As we approach peak there is more oil pumped daily than there has ever been. But we won't be able to increase the amount pumped anymore at the very time demand is increasing.

It also means that the oil left is harder to get at and of poorer quality. The easy light crude that floats to the top has been skimmed off and what is left is the heavy crude which is of poorer quality and more expensive to refine.

We know that U.S. production peaked in the early 1970's right when the Hubbert curve predicted it would. Now Mexico, Venezuela, the North Sea and other pools of oil have peaked or will peak shortly. England becomes a net importer of oil very soon.? More ominously it appears the Saudi's are peaking. Production has been down 8% for the last two years.? When Saudi Arabia peaks, and there fields are mostly 60 years old and naturally due to peak, the world peaks.? Matt Simmons, who heads the largest investment bank for the energy industry is convinced that the Saudi's have peaked. He has written a book called "Twilight In The Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock".? In?the book Simmons? has put together an impressive amount of research from journal articles about the state of the Saudi oil industry.? Ghawar, the biggest field in the world is now 50% salt water as the Saudi's pump more and more salt water in to keep pressure up. It has lasted about as long as a major field normally lasts before going into decline. If Ghawar has peaked the world has peaked.