[permaculture] green stink bugs

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Fri Jul 6 09:59:01 EDT 2007

Filiz says

"hello!!
greetings from Turkey!!!

"our organic garden is infested by green stink bugs...they are
especially killing all our green beans...
do you know any organic way of expelling them??"

I didn't realize you had stink bugs in Turkey. They aren't likely to be much
different than the ones we have here. And one idea worth trying is to grow
trap crops, and till them under while they're busy feeding. This is a good
article on the subject:

"The use of trap crops is not a widely accepted idea for control of the
southern green stink bug but it has excellent potential as a type of control. The
choice for trap crops in the summer would be leguminous plants such as cowpeas
and beans. In the late fall and early spring cruciferous plants are
recommended. The trap crop should be sprayed or plowed under before the developing
southern green stink bugs become adults to prevent them from migrating to the main
crop. Insecticides are commonly applied at blossom and fruit formation.
Consult the Florida Insect Management Guide for chemical controls."

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/bean/southern_green_stink_bug.htm

Michael