[permaculture] Soil Carbon Sequestration

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Wed Jul 4 13:48:28 EDT 2007

Young, Anthony. 1997.  Agroforestry for Soil Management.  CAB
International: New York, NW.  ISBN 0851991890

I seem to recall he has some diagrams of carbon cycle rates.  Young also
wrote primarily about tropical systems.  My recollection (basic
biogeography... text is at work) is that in tropical systems temperature
prevents accumulation of organic matter in soil, and the majority of the
carbon pool is in a litter layer and standing biomass, which is why
tillage based annual agriculture is so destructive in the tropics.  In
temperate systems you see accumulation of stable organic humus,
particularly under anoxic soils where soil metabolism is very slow
(truely organic soils occuring only in wetlands).  So you would have a
spatial pattern of carbon accumulation based on climate which drives
both primary production and decomposition, soil hydrology that can
increase primary production and decrease decomp. (with wetlands
accumulating carbon), and management regime where tillage accelerates
soil organic decomp by providing oxygen.  In my climate, biomass
accumulates as wood both above and below ground, with a massive carbon
legacy in the form of heaps of sodden large woody debris.

The Rodale study compared continuous corn to a corn/soybean rotation:
"It is likely that the increased carbon storage in the [manure-based]
system is partially due to the return of steer manure to the field.
Compared with senescent-crop residues, a larger proportion of
manure-derived carbon is retained in soil, probably because manure is
already partly decomposed and contains a larger proportion of chemically
recalcitrant organic compounds (8,9). On the other hand these studies
did not find significant effects of types of plant species on long-term
carbon equilibrium (1,8,9)."
http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/science/home.html

I would suggest that the alt. ag. methods resulted in a recovery of soil
organic matter, but that regeneration to forest would have provided a
greater rate.  This 15 year experiment was completed in Pennsylvannia,
USA, temperate cold winter, warm moist summer, and given the climate
controls of all factors affecting carbon cycling I would be wary of
extrapolating to other systems.  Additionally they did not calculate the
whole system carbon balance including fuel costs in transporting food to
cows and back to fields, tillage, transport and end use of product.
Finally the tables reflecting the data patterns are not provided, but
you can buy a glossy version for only $14.95.  I get annoyed by advocacy
spin that reinterprets "science" to easily solve our little carbon
problem, but I can see the allure.

Paul Cereghino