[permaculture] "We've got suicidal idiots in charge."

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Mon Jul 2 12:15:25 EDT 2007

The following is the first paragraph of the serenity pray by Reinhold Nieber.? Twelve Step Groups have widely adopted this bit of wisdom.? It resonates for me when looking at the insane world we confront.? If anybody is uncomfortable with the first word drop it or substitute another word.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

We live in a scarey world where many are engaged in acts that could lead to the destruction of world civilization. We can and should do what we can to spread the word on using permaculture design to fix some of the worst of the destructive treatment of the planet our species is engaged in, but some things are out of our control.? We need awareness of the insanity, but then we need to move on each do in our way what we can to counteract the mainstream global culture's destructive tendencies? and provide postive alternative ways to live sustainably.

In the end we may be the like the monks and nuns of the dark ages by providing the seeds of knowledge around which a sane life can be built after the crash.? The nuns and monks?provided centers of safety where some learning was preserved and where food and medicine was available. Around these centers European civlization re-coalesced.? Many towns and cities were built near these small sustainable islands.