[permaculture] new university

Charles de Matas cdematas at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 30 15:10:01 EDT 2006

  The government of Trinidad & Tobago is in the process of establishing a
new university, the University of Trinidad and Tobago.  I read in the
newspapers recently that they are considering the introduction of a program
in agriculture, to help increase local food production and to address the
problem of declining enrollment in agriculture at the University of the West
Indies, the dominant regional university.  I think I will write to the
minister of Science and Tertiary education and suggest that the government
establish a department of sustainable food production at the new university.
  This can provide practical training to young people in various modalities,
organic gardening and farming, biointensive mini-farming, agroforestry and,
of course, permaculture.  There are a few local organic farmers who I think
could teach in such a program and who have developed organic solutions to
many of the our local problems.  I think they can also try to get someone
who has permaculture design certification, and has experience of tropical
conditions.

Charles
T&T