[permaculture] introduction

Rich Blaha rich at mossbackfarm.com
Tue Sep 26 00:53:00 EDT 2006

Hi Johnathan

It sounds like you've got a pretty good setup, and the aerial photo from
google maps seems like you've got options and infrastructure nearby.....fun!

I can speak somewhat to the mapping options you discussed...I've put our
farm design into GIS format, available at
http://www.mossbackfarm.com/archive/000179.html .  GIS is very handy for
design purposes, allowing different layers to be laid down, giving a
good sense of landscape, traffic, and infrastructure patterns.  It can
greatly speed visioning and planning, without lots of erasing or mylar
sheets.  Especially for those of us lacking in drawing skills.

I use ESRI products, which are expensive, and fortunately for me, paid
for by my employer.  An open source version is QGIS (http://qgis.org/),
which uses some of the same file formats, but has fewer analysis and
cartographic options.  Can't beat the price, though.

 Alternatively, you could get in touch with the local university GIS
department (http://www.du.edu/gis/ for example) and see if any students
there want to take on your cause as a project.

If you're hoping to serve up the GIS data (eg.
http://washims.co.washington.or.us/InterMap/InterDetails.cfm?GoNav=1) ,
you're looking at a more complicated and expensive system, called an
Internet Map Server (IMS).  You'd definitely be needing tech support far
beyond my expertise in that case.  One step at a time, then....

Good luck

Rich
Mossback Farm
Yamhill, OR