[permaculture] spinach fecoterrorism?

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Fri Sep 22 08:58:37 EDT 2006

dustbear says "thanks for the link- hopefully much of america is exposed to
this-
instead of the fearmongering that some young journalists are into... "

I wish that were so. But I'm thinking there's only a small fraction of us who
read the fine print in the Times. Last night I watched Katie Couric
simplifying the news for us on CBS, and her take on that same story was "We may never
know" (what caused the E coli outbreak).

And I agree, we (meaning the public at large) may never know. The Cattlemen's
Beef Association is very powerful-- powerful enough in fact to have sent its
members to Washington to serve as senior staffers at the USDA.  And the corn
growing states are one of the more influential blocs in national politics,
having an inordinate hold on Congress in particular. So I doubt that we will
officially ever find any link between wonderful, healthful, corn-fed beef and that
horrible whatever-it-is that has tainted the nation's spinach.

To complete this comedy of misunderstanding, we are now informed by Lisa
Leff, of the Associated Press, that California spinach growers in the three
affected counties are turning under what's left of the spinach crop. Instead they'll
be putting the acreage up in broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.

That should fix everything.