[permaculture] Pet wastes....

Lisa Rollens rollens at fidnet.com
Mon Jul 31 12:48:14 EDT 2006

One more thing, James...in the past, raising various animals....horses,
calves, chickens, mice, hamsters, etc, the general rule is that if the pen
or cage or stall smells, you aren't using enough bedding.  Keep in mind that
the manure is the "hot" or "green" stuff in the compost and the bedding is
the "brown" stuff.  The correct proportions are approximately 20% hot to 80%
cold, or brown.  Add moisture and it composts.  At the beginning there might
be a smell, but it's not that nasty doggie poo smell.

Lisa, in the Ozarks