[permaculture] Pet wastes....

Lisa Rollens rollens at fidnet.com
Mon Jul 31 12:42:42 EDT 2006

My sister in Albuquerque NM uses one of those things buried in the yard for
the waste from 2 Labradors.  She is in a subdivision.  However, it is so dry
there that dog waste generally dries and turns ashy.  If you are in a wet
area where the dog waste washes into the yard, maybe you could mow the yard
and rake up the freshly fertilized, high nitrogen grass and use it for
mulch.  I currently have 2 dog pens and scatter the waste up on the hillside
and then let the sheep graze the area, but I think you said you are in a
subdivision, so that wouldn't work for you.  But maybe a variation...throw
it in a pile and cover with leaves, chopped if you can chop them, and use it
like a dedicated humanure pile and let it sit for a while then use to
fertilize fruit or nut trees.  Just some thoughts...

Lisa, in the MO Ozarks