[permaculture] Dealing with one's own trash....

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Mon Jul 31 12:38:19 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 2:06 am, Noctaire wrote:
 ] It's less an outside issue than an INSIDE issue I'm fighting.  :)  I need a
 ] way to convince the whole family to put the kitchen scraps somewhere OTHER
 ] than in the garbage can so I'm thinking something like a separate waste
 ] center with maybe biodegradable bags or something similar?

 Friends of mine have been using (non-bleached, etc etc) brown
 paper bags as their in-kitchen compost bin for years - a practice
 we've been experimenting with lately.  They're particularly handy
 insofar as you can dump the entire thing in the compost or the
 worm farm.  Depending on the moisture content and output of
 the kitchen, and whether you do some basic separation (old teabags
 don't stink, don't need to go into the paper bag, etc) you'll obviously
 get varying lives for each bag.  We average about 1 bag every 5 days
 through winter.

 Oh .. and you likely do not want to be putting using the outputs from
 your dogs or cats as input to your compost (or garden).

 (Hint -- doing some research on toxoplasmosis will be enlightening.)

 Jedd.