[permaculture] butterfly conservation

Kai Vido kaivido at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 05:43:56 EDT 2006

Related to the issue of biodiversity conservation, and butterfly restoration in particular, I
quote Dr. Henrik Jorgensen of Denmark:

"Although haymeadows are man-made biotopes, they typically contain surprisingly rich plant and
animal life. With few exceptions, those in Denmark have been abandoned and now grow tall, coarse
vegetation or are turned into forest plantations of mostly conifers.

"Experiments with restoration have shown that, with renewed hay cutting, it is possible to regain
a remarkably high degree of biodiversity. In one example of a Danish forest meadow of less than
one hectare [2.4 acres] that was abandoned shortly after World War II: after ten years of correct
management it now hosts 144 species of vascular plants, compared to 70 species at the outset of
restorative cutting (many of which were very scarce and clearly disappearing!)

"In the zoological record of this meadow are 5 species of reptiles (the number known in Denmark),
7 species of amphibians, 18 species of damselflies and dragonflies and 23 species of butterflies.
For instance, in his article "Butterflies of the Forest Meadow" (p.34 in URT), leading Danish
lepidopterologist Michael Stoltze, who works for The Danish Society for Nature Conservation,
states: 'There is no doubt that restoration of haymeadows or even the judicious mowing of very
small areas is highly beneficial to many of the most threatened Danish butterflies.... The reward
for the restorative effort comes relatively fast because butterfly populations can sometimes react
so quickly.'"

For more on the meadow restoration efforts underway in Denmark, the Czech Republic, Wales and
elsewhere, and why scythe-mowing is the best restoration method, please see the photo essay at:

http://scytheconnection.com/adp/biodiv/index.html