[permaculture] is unschooing effective? responsible?

Martin Naylor martinwnaylor at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 20 00:15:22 EDT 2006

Hi Jenny
  The only change is the change of the individual, at the present time the individual is here to serve the state, this is entirely wrong the state is here to serve the individual. and unless this is realised the catastrophe that is looming will not loom much longer.

  Understand the problem, [what ever it is,{this is done by observing} ] then act.
  So the problem is the people on the planet have to under go fundamental change if the planet is going to survive in any meaning full way.

  Solution: Under go that fundamental change and act, it is damn hard, but it is possible.

He said, I just have to follow my conscience and
my temperament.

  I say we may have slightly different temperaments [and these are created by our thoughts and the responses of our thoughts to all the the relationships we have] we all have the same conscience weather male or female

  I say observe thought desires dreams hopes fears there origins and you will understand, when you understand then you can act with wisdom. and only you can understand your self, only you can observe your self.

  Who is this observer: it can only be thought, so if you have some one else or your self observing you, {observer observing the observer], is a contradiction, IE you have thought observing itself, which is unnecessary as you will realise you only need thought where it is necessary and you can let the brain rest [deep meditation] for the majority of time, other then that you will have to live with a chartering mind 24/7 and the chaos we are now in

  Keep Smiling
  Martin

Jenny Katz <jennykatz at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Everyone,

Thanks for all your insight and wisdom about these questions of education. I
just had a conversation with a fellow I know who teaches political science
and education at Stanford University; we spoke about the structural problems
with schooling as it's currently practiced, questions of ecological and
economic understanding and accountability, issues of compulsion, the attempt
to try and create an institution that can shape a responsible and active
public, the complicated question of children as citizens, and so on. His
take boils down to this: Since the problem itself is systemic and
structural, in order to have the best chance of affecting the system we
ought not to withdraw--thus effecting a tiny change with a small number of
people--but to stay invested, acting politically to elect people (or
ourselves) who will change things. I see the strength of his argument,
particularly the point about building a common institution to shape a common
story... but I don't know. In a lot of ways, it still _feels_ wrong (red-hat
thinking?). Ultimately, he suggested I just have to follow my conscience and
my temperament.

What would permaculture say about this? Make slow and small changes in the
system? Or what? I'd love your opinions.

Jenny

The World Launch