[permaculture] uncolleging

KNat knat at sprintmail.com
Mon Jul 17 12:23:13 EDT 2006

Kathy Evans wrote:
> Paul, Can you tell us more about what your son is doing uncolleging? I have
> one who has so far traveled around the world twice on a shoestring,
> volunteering. I have a hard time letting go of thinking they need a degree.
> Kathy
Hi Kathy,
I'm the one who mentioned uncolleging. I figured it best to ask. My
son's reply below.

Kathyann

What is uncolleging? It's life.

Uncolleging is putting yourself in situations to find your talents, and
what you love to do, or continuing that process if you've unschooled.
It's surrounding yourself with skill-building opportunities, and honing
skills. It's periodically checking in with yourself (or a mentor) to see
that what you are doing is somehow related to your lifelong dreams and
goals. It's remembering to document what you do so that when you're
"done" with "college" you have a work history or resume that can put any
college transcript or degree to shame. You don't have to wait till
you've graduated to do what you want, you just have to find out what you
actually want, and how to do it.

That's the quick and dirty of my current impression of it.