[permaculture] Schooling- was homeschooling

KNat knat at sprintmail.com
Sat Jul 15 03:31:33 EDT 2006

Kathy Evans wrote:

>Kathyann, I may not even understand the question, but if you're asking what
>I think you're asking, I'm not sure it's possible to "track" what's
>happening inside the hearts and souls and brains of children in a learning
>environment like your school without diluting and compromising what's
>really happening and without adversely affecting it.

This is probably true of anything, but we do do it. As I map our home
culture (I dislike the word property), it isn't my making a map that
would diminish the value of an individual plant. If I disrespect its
value and connections to everything else under and around it, its
contributions and its needs, I do disservice, but that is in my attitude
with the map, not the map itself.. But making the map allows me to share
with others, who have not sat with that plant, its amazing value, and
reinput, contextually, the knowledge I have of it. I'm hoping someone
has been working with computerizing enough to have an idea of a program
that can record this example of a plant- location; type; needs-sun,
water, type minerals-ph, cohabitants; contributions- medicinal, nitrogen
fixer, well rooted for slope, leaf litter, cohabitant
protection/supplies; (energy form if it's someone like me); reproduction
style, timing; seasonal cycles. Quick list but you get the idea. Noting
the patterns does not reduce the plant to only those elements but allows
me to include it and its value whenever I consider the area as a whole
and gives more details than I may recall when tending it.
Logging a human individual would be very similar as the plant with
webbing to cohabitants and shared mineral or sun needs. In fact the
needs of the humans here is considered without apparent damage (I hope,
I'm on the map in my frequent spots.)
As far as terms to apply to an individual student's core, I imagine it
would be like our in-house mandala. Probably using Brent Cameron's new
book, Self-Design, for reference- the state understands anything if I
can put a publisher's information and it has great research behind it.
.
http://newsite.selfdesign.org/SelfDesignPrograms/Paragon/0018EB72-0016E390.0/paragonWEB.gif
There is great correlation between feeling capable of making necessary
changes in childhood and adult happiness. So we can keep communication
in terms of empowering a developing self. (We are not able to be as
free-form as Wondertree, yet, but Self-design does create "categories"
for intentions.)

Peace,
Kathyann

ps I do like Dumbing Us Down and, coincidentally, saw John Taylor Gatto,
most recently, 2 weekends ago- working, and playing, with alternative
educators (including brainstorming this desire of mine for permaculture
logging of children.) AERO has tapes of his sessions.