[permaculture] Poly water tanks (was: untapped H2O resources....(I'm being funny...)

R Freeman sunnysidesourdough at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 16:00:51 EDT 2006

Lynann says:
> ...we're having
> un-(season)reasonably hot humid weather....

The weather's strange all the way down to us here in the southwest corner of
Australia. The message from all but a few climate change naysayers is that
we are going to have to get used to it!

> ...I've read that Polyethylene is ok for storing
> "potable" water in....
"Poly" tanks and galvanized iron tanks with poly liners (coupled with
rooftop rainwater collection) are extremely common in this part of the
world. I have a 20,000 gallon tank for the house. However, the tank company
(http://www.pioneertanks.com.au/) notes in its literature that it uses a
"food grade liner". I don't know if we can imply from that that the poly
septic tanks are not food grade, but I would be wary in case undesirable
tastes, if not actual toxins, leached into your drinking water.
A second point, I tried burying a 1000 gallon poly tank (not a septic tank)
but the sides buckled in under the weight of the soil and broke. An
expensive lesson.

Stay cool!

--Robert