[permaculture] How many wearings for a cotton shirt?

yarrow at sfo.com yarrow at sfo.com
Thu Jul 13 15:46:12 EDT 2006

Clothes and shoes last longer if you have more than one set, so that
you can rotate use. So how long things last depends on whether you
have one or two (or more) items that you are using over and over.

How fabric is cared for and stored may contribute more to its
longevity than how it is used. When I had wool jackets, one season of
inattention meant the wool-eating larvae got a head start (pheromone
traps are a great way to prevent this kind of damage). Also, how soon
do you launder after each use -- do you let chemicals or dirt degrade
the fabric over a day, a week, or more? Do you make sure all items to
be stored are clean? Strangely enough, some deodorants may degrade
fabrics sooner. Do you use bleach and harsh detergents, or gentler
cleaning products? Hand wash or vigorous washing-machine cycles? Air
dry or machine dry? When a small hole or tear appears, do you ignore
it, or attend to it right away?

How you care for yourself is another important factor. Do you
anticipate being the same size in 5 years, or 10 years? Even if you
have never gained weight, age can add pounds or horizontal inches if
you don't pay attention.

Often clothes are as likely to get lost as grown out of. Accidents
happen, too -- can't plan ahead for those.

If you're interested in having "enough" clothes to last for some
extended amount of time, learn to sew and repair, and perhaps stock
up on fabric, thread, buttons, etc. as well.