[permaculture] Home education/sustainable systems

E. E. Mitchamore Jr emitch at att.net
Thu Jul 13 10:39:34 EDT 2006

I note that most of you contributing to this thread are relatively young.  That should be a tip-off to the possibility that the education system changed (not for the better, I think) in the '60s and '70s.

Growing up in a small town in Central Texas, I had the same first-grade teacher that my mother had (she's 32 years older than I - I was born in '44).  That first-grade teacher taught me the alphabet and how to count.  My granddaughter (2.5 years old) can count to 20 or more and knows the alphabet - more than I knew at twice her age.

On the other hand, the education system in those days (1950 - 1968, BSME) somehow taught me to love reading and learning, which I continue to this day.  Perhaps in spite of their public school experience, our kids (now 25, 28, 30)  continue to read, study and learn, recognizing that it's not only necessary, but fulfilling.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz