[permaculture] Schooling

Charles de Matas cdematas at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 12 18:28:04 EDT 2006

  I think home-schooling would be very beneficial, not only for children but
for the environment as well.  I don't know how it is in other countries, but
here in Trinidad there is much much more traffic on the roads during the
school term than otherwise.  As soon as the school term starts up, there are
huge traffic jams.  Children today have to do too much travelling by car or
bus to and from school.  It is not good for them, and is a waste of time
that they could use to do other things.  I was lucky that as a child I was
able to go to primary and secondary school within walking distance of home.
But fewer children today can do this.  Someone mentioned life in the 18th
and 19th centuries.  One good thing was that schools were smaller and more
dispersed through the community than today.  Today schools are like giant
factories with children on conveyor belts.
   I think we need to reinvent villages where people can walk or cycle to
get most of their needs: food, clothing, education, household items, etc.

Charles.