[permaculture] Germination Rates in Mulch

Niels Corfield mudguard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 14:18:34 EDT 2006

Roxann, Neshura,

I think there are a number of conditions seeds will germinate.
Seeds are adapted for germination in a leaf-litter, rather than soil. I
think mainly.
Green manure seeds can germinate and root in brassica hearts.
"I have tried ugm (undersown green manures) with various clover and
cereal types but have run into problems of establishment and seed
falling into the heart of brassacaes and taking root there!"
Ian Tollhurst
http://www.veganorganic.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=65

So there is possibility of top-side, or partial imersion-mulch germination.

Niels