[permaculture] permaculture - Biofuel Illusion

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Sun Jul 9 16:03:14 EDT 2006

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:50:08 -0600, you wrote:

> The solution is to change our lifestyle, I
>think that we should be looking to the Amish for direction and for
>technology.

The Amish, however, are dependent upon the larger society and its fossil
fuel inputs for many aspects of their life.  They use modern medical
facilities, for example, getting a ride to a hospital from a neighbor when
necessary.  They buy the cloth from which their clothing is made.  They use
refrigerators operated by kerosene.  They use kerosene lights.  They buy
much of their food:  which is transported of course by fossil fuels, and
grown by fossil fuels too.  They buy fossil-fuel based fertilizer.

It's a total misconception that the Amish are not dependent on fossil
fuels.  Maybe less dependent than many of us, yes.  But still; that
dependency is there and it is very important to their way of life.

(How do I know this?  I used to live in Delaware, near a large Amish
community.  I now live in northern Pennsylvania, near a very conservative
Mennonite community and near some Amish as well.  I have had a chance to
become familiar with Amish and conservative Mennonite life by personal
observation and by being friends with some of the people.)

Pat
Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/