[permaculture] Barking Frogs annual news (corrected)

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Fri Jul 7 08:37:19 EDT 2006

Below is the corrected version of the Barking
Frogs PC annual news.  RMW

(Please forward or post as appropriate. )

The following topics are covered below:

*  Our 11th Annual Permaculture Design Course
Online Begins Nov. 5.

*  Faculty added to the permaculture design
course.

*  New Barking Frogs Permaculture web site.

*  New features to the permaculture design course
online

*  Scholarship Application Deadline

*  Internships at Barking Frogs Permaculture
Center.

*  Massachusetts permaculture site available to
buy.

o  The 11th annual Elfin Permaculture Design
Course Online begins Nov. 5, 2006, and runs about
six months.  Learning tools include a course CD
with more than 300 items including instructors'
"lectures," data bases, handbooks, pamphlets,
sample designs, and reference materials.  Students
complete a minimum of four reports each, including
a full permaculture design report, complete weekly
readings, and discuss readings and designs via
conventional email. During the course cycle, we
frequently send students emails with supplemental
materials. Persons not enrolled in the course may
enroll as silent monitors for the price of the
course CD.  The highly discounted course reading
list is available to all students and a self-study
version is available to monitors or others for who
wish to advance their permaculture knowledge and
skills at their own pace.  For information,
download the course preregistration package from
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org or request the
package from BarkingFrogsPC at aol.com  Tuition will
remain frozen at the old level until Jan. 1, 2007,
when there will be a general tuition increase. See
the Course Fee Table on our web site or in the
course protocol for fees, which vary according to
how the student customizes participation in the
course.

o  Willem Smuts, associated with the Elfin
Permaculture online course for more than 10 years,
will lead discussions beginning in cycle 11 of the
online course.  Dan Hemenway, who designed this
online version of the certificate permaculture
course, will continue to oversee and review
student design projects and make certification
decisions, and Cynthia Hemenway, CNM, will
continue to lead the course's unique Design for
Health module.  Robert Waldrop, key person in the
Oklahoma Food Cooperative and the Oklahoma
Sustainability Network, will serve as assistant
instructor.  Biographical info on the instructors
is available at www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

o  Robert Waldrop has created our new web site at
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org The site is now
up and running and includes all basic documents to
date.

o  We have added two new features to the Elfin
Permaculture Design Course to make it more
flexible and useful to a broader spectrum of
prospective permaculturists.  Certificate students
now can select either of two alternatives for
completing the full required permaculture design
report. Students seeking relatively prompt
certification can elect the "fast track", which
enables them to earn certification, with intensive
work, within the framework of the six-month
cycles.  Now students who wish a longer period of
support on the design process can take up to two
years to complete their design and get
certification. Students must elect either the
"fast track" or the "deliberate track" early in
the course cycle.  Enrollment in either track is
limited because review of design reports is a time
consuming job.  Download the course protocol from
our web site for details.  As of July 1, 2006, is
the option to take the course on a
not-for-certification basis at a reduced tuition.
Non-certificate students may present design
reports for up to two readings with review and
commentary by one of the instructors.  If the
details are not yet up on our web site, contact
BarkingFrogsPC at aol.com .  The non-certificate
status is a superior way to get sustained
consulting on a design for one's home at much less
cost than one-on-one consulting fees.  Moreover
the student receives input from the entire class,
not just one permaculturists.

.  The deadline for scholarship applications to
our online course is Aug. 1.  This is the deadline
every year.  Download instructions from our web
site, www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

o Up to two simultaneous internships are available
at Barking Frogs Permaculture Center for people
age18 or over living locally or willing to tent.
Interns may elect to complete work on the Barking
Frogs guest quarters and then use them for the
balance of the internship.  Internships can be for
any portion of the year or for an entire year, as
we can work out of doors at all seasons in our
Florida site.  There is no charge for training.
Successful interns may move on to develop profit
sharing enterprises based on use of our
permaculture site. For details, download the
intern FAQs from the Barking Frogs web site.  The
FAQs provide instructions for applying for an
internship.  We cannot consider prospective
interns who do not follow these instructions.
Interns who have completed a certificate Elfin
Permaculture Design Course may be given advanced
work.  Interns may be allowed to monitor the
online course if it is running during their
internship.  In addition to general
implementation, operation and management of our
design, interns may specialize in projects such as
chinampas building and management, tree
crops/agroforestry/forest garden work,
aquaculture, livestock integration, bamboo growing
and utilization, roof catchment and cistern
systems, various building, repair, earthworks, and
masonry projects, etc.

o  About 18 acres of land which has received no
toxic chemicals for at least 25 years, longer in
most parts, are available in Williamsburg,
Massachusetts, just north of Northampton.  The
site is not "developed", but includes plantings of
fully mature black walnut, blueberries, and other
tree crops.  Mostly wooded, it is bounded by a
year-round excellent trout stream on one side.
Purchase will include a full day of consulting by
Dan Hemenway, co-owner of the land.  The site is
presently in a form of conservation status with
greatly reduced taxes. This is transferable to a
new owner of at least 5 acres.  We will subdivide,
if desired, but only in a rational pattern that is
best for the land.  Frontage is an excellent
county road, and the site, while very rural, is
accessible to cultural resources in Northampton by
car within 10 to 15 minutes, a bit longer by bus.
Contact Dan Hemenway at BarkingFrogsPC at aol.com
with specific questions.  We have local family in
New England who can show the land and even provide
preliminary work if desired.

To be removed from this list:
     Individuals:  Reply with "remove" in the
message field.
     Groups:  Removal from our list will delete
your name from our TRIP (The Resources of
International Permaculture) database, used by many
permaculturists for networking.  If you do not
which your email address to be used for
networking, reply typing "remove" in the message
field.

Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

Our 11th Annual Permaculture Design Course Online
begins Nov. 5, 2006. The protocol for our Annual
Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/Protocol7-05-06.pdf

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles
also may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html