[permaculture] nuclear energy

Charles de Matas cdematas at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 5 15:50:51 EDT 2006

   I don't think nuclear energy will hlep much to solve the global warming
problem.  Uranium still has to be dug out of the earth, transported over
long distances, purified by very energy intensive methods.  Most of these
processes require fossil fuel energy inputs.  Nuclear power plants have to
be constructed at very high capital costs, again a very energy intensive
process. The construction can take up to decade. I think the amount of CO2
reduction obtained by switching from fossil fuel to nuclear energy would be
minimal.
  What amazes me sometimes is that people advocating an increase in nuclear
power generation often live in developed countries that are trying to stop
other countries like Iran, North Korea or Venezuela from developing there
own nuclear industries.  Increased use of nuclear energy in the developed
countries will make it easier for other countries to obtain the technology
and material to build their own nuclear industries, for both peaceful and
military purposes.

Charles.