[permaculture] Whitefield's Earth Care Manual

Kai Vido kaivido at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 4 21:04:17 EDT 2006

Hi there,

Good to see another New Brunswicker here--I'm from the Perth Andover area, Zone 3b before global
warming. My main area of interest is scythes, as you can see from my ramblings below. I've never
read the book you refer to but it sounds good.

kai vido

***********************

My name is Kai Vido and I am pleased to join this exceptional group. I live in New Brunswick,
Canada, on a farm where we use human-powered tools to replace many machines, raise much of our own
food, and generally try to “live lightly” on the Earth. We cut grass for hay to feed our livestock
using European-style scythes, and have long been researching and experimenting with “how to cut
the most grass with the least energy”. I maintain a website- http://scytheconnection.com -and
would be particularly interested in discussions on scythes and their use.

Our family organized and recently hosted the First North American Scythe Symposium and Workshops
on our farm. Although no one from the Permaculture movement showed up, I am convinced that the
scythe has wonderful application on many, if not all, PC farms and homesteads. Every ecovillage,
as members of a co-operative network, could also hold scythe workshops and serve as sources for
the tools.

If you are new to the scythe (or even if you are not!), I encourage you to watch the short video
on our site- http://scytheconnection.com/adp/video/index.html -as it shows this amazing tool being
used in a variety of situations and vegetation types. I welcome comments, with critique more
useful to me than praise. Detailed constructive criticism of anything we write helps to shape how
we communicate in future writing; we - and I refer to ALL of humanity -  are all somewhere on a
path of learning...a lifelong journey.