[permaculture] First Tuesday Discussion Groups

Greg FarmerGreg at UrbanFarm.org
Sat Oct 29 09:12:54 EDT 2005

Hi all

The First Tuesday Permaculture Discussion, starting November first,
was conceived at the Urban Farm during the recent one-day
Permaculture Design Course.  All details are below.
If you would like the flyer, let me know.  It was too large to send
to the list.

The Phoenix Permaculture Guild Presents: First Tuesday Permaculture Discussion
Come, share, discuss and hear about various exciting aspects of
Sustainability at Unlimited
Coffee, 741 E. Glendale Avenue in Phoenix, 6:30 - 8:00 pm on the
first Tuesday of the month

First Tuesday Discussion Schedule:
*November 1, 2005 - Forest gardening in the Desert - Applied
Permaculture - Chris Carlile
No matter what your irrigation setup (or just rain), learn how a
forest garden in the desert can save water and energy, increase food
productivity and moderate temperatures around your home.  The key to
a successful forest garden is thoughtful site observation and design,
using permaculture strategies to put it all together.  Come learn and
discuss how we can apply these techniques to live sustainably and
peacefully in this desert city.  We are all relatives within this
great cycle of life.
*December 6, 2005 - Using Your Microclimates - Don titmus
Nature will give you the gift of microclimates as only the summer
months can give!  Come learn how to use the cold or to offset its
damage. I will talk about shadow, cold, day length, passive solar
stratagies, and answer your questions about microclimates in general.
*January 3, 2006 - Energy From the Sun - Greg Peterson
Greg will facilitate a discussion on photovoltaic water heating and
other applications in the Southwest Desert.
*February 7, 2006 - Spring Planting - Jay Johnson,  and - Seed and
Transplant Trade
Bring your seeds and transplants to trade with others; Jay will talk
about what annuals and perennials can be planted in spring, tips and
tricks to preparing your soil and how to choose a location for your
gardens.

Future Discussions: Organic Pest Control.  Desert Hydrophonics.
Traditional native and European agricultural systems in the Phoenix
area, and how this knowledge can be applied to a modern permaculture
context.  Harvesting the Wind.  Greywater systems in Phoenix.  Any
and all aspects of edible landscapes.  Green Building.  Passive Solar
Systems.

Share Your Ideas for Discussions:  Contact Pauline at at (602)
867-1526 or p_tessier at earthlink.net.

Greg

--

The Urban Farm