[permaculture] Trees and CO2

robscott at freeshell.org robscott at freeshell.org
Thu Oct 20 12:52:01 EDT 2005

Genest, I think we need more specifics. A "hectare of trees" -- seedlings?
old growth? species? a hectare of photosynthetic leaf area? or what?
Toby's calculations are a step in the direction of specificity.
But: tree species have different carbon sequestration rates, and trees
have different sequestration rates at different times in their life cycle.
A system which is *designed* to sequester carbon will do so more
efficiently than, say, an old growth forest where the trees aren't
actively growing new tissue so much as performing maintenance respiration.

Rob Scott
Urbana, IL