[permaculture] A Permanent Culture:-Rural or Urban or......

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Sun Oct 16 10:28:26 EDT 2005

Hey Sean,

It looks like Just Food is doing some fantastic work down there.

All good points below. You are absolutely right that Rural Urban
Partnerships are the way to go. We're just beginning to see how that
can work in our little urban area of Norway/South Paris with a food
co-op as the focus. It's a long road. Not only has growing food gone
out of style up here, so has cooking! Fast food and obesity are
pretty rampant. But things are changing and we all have to pull
together, wherever we are to create the paradigm shift to more local
production and consumption of fresh, whole foods. On a positive note,
Maine is once again producing grain, urban restaurants are featuring
Maine produce and meats, farmers markets are growing, and a green
building movement is developing to counteract the plethora of prefab
plastic houses that are popping up everywhere. Opportunities abound
to affect change.

Please don't take my previous comments to imply that I think urban
living is wrong or that I was comparing myself to other urban
dwellers. I have lived in both worlds and appreciate both very much.
I was just pointing out my own experience, which is certainly not
typical. My choice to live in the Maine woods has more to do with the
fact that I am lucky enough to be able to make a living mostly from
home (via computer) and a love for building with wood, gardening,
forestry, and ski touring in the winter, than any rejection or
critique of the urban lifestyle. I'm still very fond of NYC and the
urban culture in general.

There is so much opportunity for integration between the two,
especially around food. We're seeing a lot more collaboration between
chefs and farmers. Eating local is an increasingly louder buzz, and
even school lunch programs are looking to local producers once again.

In a shrinking world, I think the urban/rural distinctions are
becoming increasingly irrelevant and the creation of community on
every level increasingly important. We're all in this together and
there is much to do.

Peace,

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts & Ecology
Otisfield, ME

Design Solutions for a Sustainable Future