[permaculture] A Permanent Culture:-Rural or Urban or......

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Wed Oct 12 22:38:52 EDT 2005

Thank You Lawrence,

Having lived in both city and country, your sentiments rang true for
me. I'm sure I consume much lest energy here in rural Maine than I
did in NYC. I heat with my own wood instead of oil, grow a
significant portion of my food, buy local for most of the rest. I
travel less for leisure and can ride my bike to town. Most of our
buildings are made with materials from our carefully managed woodlot
and sawn with a small bandsaw mill. In the city, everything i touched
was imported from fairly far away (much of NYC's food still comes
from California or Central America.)

I can see how folks could burn a lot of fossil fuels living remotely
if they commute to a city to work, heat a huge vinyl sided home with
oil, and buy all their food at the supermarket. Like Toby said, there
is so much we can do to conserve and renew, wherever we are, that it
really doesn't matter where we live. As far as intentional
communities all being doomed for failure; that seems so defeatist.
Much progress is being made in that arena and it does hold a lot of
promise for living lightly. It doesn't mean we have to forge our own
nails or build all our own machines. It can mean a more efficient
existence.  I live with a small handful of people. Our experience is
mostly that "many hands make light work" and it allows us all a
certain degree of freedom while enabling us to maintain gardens and
livestock. Our extended community, mostly based around our food coop
is central to our being.

Much work to be done on all fronts!

In peace and solidarity,

Scott Vlaun