[permaculture] permaculture for Zimbabwe

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 7 19:18:49 EDT 2005

From: Alnsalnjo at aol.com <mailto:Alnsalnjo at aol.com>
Subject: RE: permaculture for Zimbabwe

To Whom it may concern, and especially experts in Permaculture,

 I am writing you today to send out a  word for help with Permaculture
for the good folks of  Zimbabwe.  My name is Sally Hirsh and I'm a
citizen of Winston-Salem, N.C.  Last week I happened to attend a meeting
of our city's African American Ministers where I heard from a Zimbabwean
man named C.H. Chiromo (a hard 'ch' and accent on the first
syllable--e-mail: chamuh at mweb.co <mailto:chamuh at mweb.co>).  He had been
invited by the ministers to speak on the needs of his community (the
Babtist Convention of Zimbabwe).   He expressed an urgent plea for help
with expertise in permaculture, the digging of wells and pipeline
construction to create a water reservoir, and money--$12,000--for the
project.  The ministers here in Winston were certain they could raise at
least half of the money, BUT NOBODY said a word about permaculture.  I
said I could communicate with people that are doing it here in NC.  Thus
I write to you.

Mr. Chiromo shared some shocking statistics with us that day on the
state of existence in Zimbabwe.  As many are aware, the death toll from
Aids is reaching unbelievable statistics: 2,000 a week (or did he say
month?...its still shocking!).  The country has suffered drought going
on now for two years, and a political situation.....well, where do we
begin?  Independence in the 1980's left 80% of the land in 2% of the
population....a dictator who supported this 2% for many years until the
people rose up and he shifted his allegiance.  Mr. Chiromo says he and
others are only surviving because of faith.

I have little knowledge of Permaculture except by talking with a friend
of mine here in Winston who has looked into it and is attempting to
weave it into her gardening practices.  I do realize there are
intentional communities around the globe and that the UN has had summits
addressing this.  You know much more.  All I can do is send this e-mail
out and hope someone will contact Mr. Chiromo if  you have any ideas for
him and can give him a ray of hope.

Good luck and thank you, Sally Hirsh
PS--if his e-mail doesn't work, contact me and I will contact the
ministers I met that day.  My  e-mail is: alnsalnjo at aol.com
<mailto:alnsalnjo at aol.com>.

--
Keith Johnson