[permaculture] Re: goats vs. compost

robscott at freeshell.org robscott at freeshell.org
Sun May 22 15:03:14 EDT 2005

Goat & poultry manures have low C:N ratios, often between 15:1 - 10:1
Vegetable scraps tend to be a little higher, say 20:1 - 15:1
Either could be treated like a nitrogen fertilizer, but wet it first,
and allow hot composting to occur off the beds.

Where's the least work? I'd pile the old vegetables near the veg beds to
be re-added as compost next season. You've already got goat manure. Maybe
toss it around some fruit trees where hot composting will just burn weeds.

Rob Scott
Urbana IL