[permaculture] [Fwd: Upcoming Fermentation Workshops]

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Sun May 1 23:05:18 EDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Upcoming Fermentation Workshops
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:00:04 -0500
From: Sandor Katz <sandorkraut at heartoftn.net>
To: sandorkraut at wildfermentation.com

hello friends,

it's high spring in tennessee. every day the forest canopy fills in more,
and we have lots of beautiful baby goats prancing about. soon it will be
time for me to hit the road again spreading fermentation fervor. the coming
months will bring me to north carolina, tennessee, new york, pennsylvania,
ohio, michigan, and virginia (dates and contact info below). please come
check out my workshops, or forward this to people you know who might be
interested.

i'm trying to spend most of my time at home working on my new book. it's
(tentatively) called underground food: culinary resistance and revolution
in many different flavors. it's been inspired largely by people i have met
-- food activists -- over the past few years as i have traveled around
talking to people about fermentation.

a lot of what i am writing about is how the small-scale local trade of
unadulterated foods has been made illegal, and examples of communities
where people are organizing underground markets to exchange local foods, in
some cases perfectly legal, in others technically illegal by virtue of laws
which favor mass production. i'm looking for examples of this small-scale
unauthorized free trade of local foods. please email me with your related
stories and experiences. thanks!

if you would rather not receive my periodic mailings, let me know and i
will remove your name from the list.

i hope you're having a great spring!

sandor

Upcoming Fermentation Workshops with Sandor Katz

May 21 & 22 (Saturday & Sunday), Chapel Hill, NC. Intensive two day
Foraging and Fermentation Workshop with Frank Cook. Email
claudia_scorpio at hotmail.com for details.

June 6 & 7 (Monday & Tuesday), New York, NY, Natural Gourmet Institute,
"Fundamentals of Fermenting Food," a hands-on fermentation experience in
which we will ferment sauerkraut, kimchi, tempeh, miso, injera, idli, mead,
and kefir. For more information or registration call 212-645-5170 or visit
www.naturalgourmetschool.com.

June 11 (Saturday), New York City, Union Square Farmers' Market,
11:00AM-2:00PM, Demo, tasting, and talk.

June 15 (Wednesday), Pennsylvania, PASA, Dickson College, Carlisle, PA,
10:00AM-5:00PM. For info call 814-349-9856 or visit www.pasafarming.org.

June 23-26 (Thursday-Sunday), Whitwell, TN, Food For Life, Sequatchie
Valley Institute, 423-949-5922 www.svioneline.org.

July 25 (Monday), Toledo, Ohio, Toledo Botanical Garden, details to come.
For info contact mszuberla at yahoo.com.

July 26 (Tuesday), Ann Arbor, MI, People's Food Coop, details to come. For
info contact lauram at peoplesfood.coop.

July 27 (Wednesday), Detroit, Michigan, Earthworks, 6-8 pm. For info visit
www.earth-works.org or email mpatrickcrouch at yahoo.com.

October 14-16 (Friday-Sunday): Red Boiling Springs, TN, Biodynamic
Conference at Long Hungry Creek Farm, 615-699-2493, www.barefootfarmer.com.

November 11 (Friday): Chantilly, VA, Weston A. Price Foundation Conference,
1:30-3:00 PM, Workshop on Fermented Condiments, www.westonaprice.org.

and then, far in the future, a 5-day intensive:
June 11-16, 2006 (Sunday-Friday): Brasstown, NC, John C. Campbell Folk
School, Fermentation Immersion: Five Days of Hands-on Live-Culture
Experience, 1-800-FOLK-SCH, www.folkschool.org.

Sandor Ellix Katz aka sandorkraut
Author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of
Live-Culture Foods
Published by Chelsea Green Publishing Co. www.chelseagreen.com
Check out my website at www.wildfermentation.com

--